Sunday, October 23, 2011

The LONG Run

This is the part of marathon training I love.  Yes, I love the long runs.  I love the scenery changes, the amount of ground I cover, the conversation, friendship, and challenges it presents.  

Today is a 12 miler (I wanted to run 14), just under a 2 hour training run, used to build up our base.  Our long runs take place in the hills of downtown Austin and allow us to run various parts of the marathon course we will be running come February.  My favorite part of the route is running down congress and the finish from Auditorium Shores to Zilker park.  There is just something about running over the brick sidewalks that I love.

My running partner, Donna, knows all the routes and trails pretty well, and always brings a map, but 9 out of 10 times, we take a wrong turn on get off course.  I think it is because we get caught up in conversation or looking at the scenery and lose track of where we are at on the run.  I know I rarely look at the map, and haven't memorized any of the routes, though I've done them several times.  Why?  Because as much as I love the long run, it can also be grueling, and to quote Frank Shorter, "You have to forget your last marathon before you can do another; the mind can't know what's coming."  I think that pertains to the training & the long runs more than the marathon itself.  I choose ignorance, so the angst can't cloud my enjoyment.

Today we didn't get lost, but the excitement of running down Congress and through downtown caught up to we and we ran a little faster than we should have.  Missed a water stop, well actually, we beat SAG support to the water stop, running belts, as hideous as they make you look, are a real necessity!  I took a GU blackberry octane gel at mile 5 and then a Honey Stinger at mile 9....big mistake.  First the Blackberry GU is tastes like uber sweet cough syrup that started the gag reflex big time.  By mile 9 I needed another gel, wasn't going to do the cough syrup again, so I went with a Honey Stinger.  Normally I really like the Honey Stingers, especially the chocolate flavor, but today, it was to gooey sweet.   The wave of nausea that brought on, reminiscent of walking by a funnel cake shop at a crowded amusement park on a HOT summer day in Texas.    You know what I'm talking about, that sticky sweet smell alone brings on the waves of nausea.  Imagine eating it.  That is what I felt like.  

As we turned into Auditorium Shores, the thrill and excitement of 2 miles to finish wasn’t easing the nausea.  Urgh, this is what I look forward to most, cruising down the trail and across the bridge to Zilker Park and the finish line.   Today; wasn’t happening.  Bummer had to take a 2 minute walking break to let my stomach settle.  After more like a 3 minute walking break we were able to run a comfortable 9:02 for the last mile and a half back to the park.  

Barton Springs was empty, so Donna and I were able to enjoy a nice soak in the water and relax before I had to change into my CW-X tights and head over to my daughter's swim meet at UT.  After the long run, putting on the tights over my slightly damp body was a breeze.....NOT.  I got my workout in today!

I was glad it was just a 12 miler and we stuck to the training plan, and didn't get lost.  Overall average was a 9:22 pace for 12.2 miles.   Slightly faster than my goal of 9:37, but not too far off......I'll let you know how it went on Monday when I get to run the dreaded tempo run!

Healthy Running!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment