Thursday, November 17, 2011

That's What it's all About

Wow, been crazy.  Running has been going....meaning that I've been hitting the pavement.  My tempo runs have been all over the place and I've been tired.  Leftover stress perhaps?  That is what I'm counting on.

Everyone has had a word of advice for me lately.  I've been talked to about the benefits of run walking and doing run intervals at a fast pace.  I hear their points and see where they are coming from.  There are many benefits to run-walking:  less stress on the body, helps to prevent fatigue, interval training, running at a faster pace during the intervals.  But I also see a downside to it:  I haven't been doing it, it is a new training regime for me, the race is less than 3 months out, and it's a big gamble to try to switch up your training routine when the race is that close.  The downsides are that I'm not planning on just running a marathon, I plan on racing the marathon.  I need to build up stamina and endurance over the long distance.  I'm not confident that run-walking the long runs is going to fully prepare me to run 26.2 miles at an 8:30 - 8:20 pace.

Then there is the good old fashioned long the slow run distance.  I've done it, it works, when I've managed to stay injury free.  I'm used to it, and there is security in knowing that it has worked.  I'm injury prone, run/walking or plain running, I'm injury prone.  All that I can do is strengthen my weaker parts and workout safely and diligently and have FAITH that my precautions will get me to the finish line.

Everyone has had advice for me this week, some solicited, and some not.  I've listened intently and researched all the advice from these people, and truly taken it to heart.  I have to say though, all this advice has been a bit of an overload, and further shook my shaky confidence.  But one person, said to me, it doesn't matter if you run/walk or if you do the long slow run, you just have to pick a training path and have FAITH in that training path, and most importantly have FAITH in yourself and you will meet your goals.  Racing a marathon is about 40% training, 10% weather conditions, and 60% mental.   If you don't have that FAITH then you are going to loose that mental battle.

Talk about bringing it back to center for me, and thanks for reminding me what my greatest asset is, my FAITH.  Faith in my Lord, faith in myself, and faith that you put in the sweat and tears, you'll come away successful.

I'm sticking to my Long Slow Run for this one, it's what I've been doing, and I have FAITH, that I chose the right path for this event.  Besides, the run is only 40% of the battle.....Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment