Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Building Confidence

The last week has been a great week.  Started out kind of shaky, but I think I'm finding my stride.  The long run was an easy 14 miler around the AT&T 1/2 marathon loop.  I'm learning more and more about myself each week.  The runs, especially the long ones, always start out tough for me.  Donna runs faster at the front than I do, she is much more of a steady state runner than me.  I struggle for the first 3-4 miles to hold her pace, usually around a 9:45 - 9:30.  But something happens on that fifth mile, my body catches on.  By mile six I am usually running at a very comfortable and chatty 9:20 pace.

The weather was hot and humid on Saturday, dripping wet  by like mile 3.  But there was some good cloud cover and it hung around for the whole run.  By mile 10 we were down to a 9:10 pace and slowly dropped about a minute or two per mile until mile 12.  At mile 12 we were running a 9:00 minute mile.  Picked up the pace for a fast finished and finished mile 13 at 8:31 and mile 14 at 7:59.  Felt great!

The next weeks are my build phase, 16, 18, & 20 miles!!!  Getting the distance up is getting me pumped and excited.  Hope the pace goes down as well as the build is going!  Hope that your runs have been leaving you inspired and feeling refreshed!

Healthy Running,
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment