Monday, December 19, 2011

Running Partners

I love running and I love triathlon and I love relationships.  I love to talk and I love to listen, I guess you could say I'm simply a social person.  That is not to say that I don't enjoy my alone time, in fact, I crave it.  If I don't get it, then I'm not the best person to be around.  My alone time grounds me, it is my special time with the Lord, my thoughts, dreams, feelings, life.  Being a wife and mother, sometimes the run is the only alone time I can get that coveted alone time.  And that is what I just love about running partners, they get that.  

Sometimes you want to chat the whole time because it makes the training go by so much faster, like the long run!  Sometimes you want the presence of another person there.  The comfort and knowledge that you are not the only crazy fool inflicting the pain of the tempo runs and speed workouts.  The other benefit, they know if you didn't do your workout.  And if you miss too much, they'll leave you in their dust, so they keep you honest, and get you out the door for the necessary weekly base runs.

I am lucky; I am one of those runners who can run solo or with friends.  I prefer to run with my friends because I love having the experience to share, and the close friendships that are built with each footstep on the long journey to a finish line.  For the last 2 years, I've been running with a multi-sport group here in Austin called the Tough Cookies.  It is a women's only group that primarily focuses on beginners.  I chose this club for 3 reasons:  1) I needed to learn some basic techniques for running and biking.  2) I loved the name, it reminded me of my Mom who always used to call me a "Tough Cookie" and 3) I wanted a relaxed group and my friend Lindsay, who was a member, excitedly told me I should check them out.  So I did, and it's been a great experience.

I've met many amazing, strong women with unique and inspiring stories.  I've loved hearing their stories and sharing successes and trials with them.  Some ladies I have grown in friendship with and some ladies I have grown in training with and then there are some that I have grown in both training and friendship with.   There have been a lot of ladies from this group that have been through the trials and tribulations of getting to a marathon finish line.  Many thanks to Ardith, Carolina, Jennifer, Susan, &Tzatzil who have been great running buddies over the last two years, but Donna and Adrian are the most perfect running partners of all.

Why are Donna and Adrian so perfect?  Many, many reasons, but what really makes them perfect is their pace. We share similar running styles and goals, but most importantly, we have similar paces.  And let’s face it, the pace matters!

Donna can’t run Austin as she’s training for Boston, so she’ll be doing the half.  Adrian jumped in at mile 16 with Donna last year when I was on the injured reserve list and ran her to the finish line.  Having someone there with you during those last 6 miles, when everything hurts, is such a benefit to a strong fast finish.  This year, lucky Adrian gets to do it again, with me, only we’re going from start to finish together!  I’ll be the one reaping all the benefits of this partnership!  Adrian is a slightly faster runner than I am, so she keeps me pushing myself.  She also isn’t as emotionally attached to this run, so she’ll be able to keep our pace in check and keep it technical instead of emotional.  Love that! 

For all the miles we’ve ran over the last two years, Adrian and I really haven’t had the opportunity to run too many miles together.  We’ve only been able to run parts of the long run and a few steady state runs together.  I’ve put most of the miles in with Donna.  Saturday, Donna left me all to my lonesome because she was headed out of town, so Adrian and I got the opportunity to run together for most of the long run.

It was a 20 miler, on the north half of the Austin marathon.  We started out with the group, and I ended up on my own by mile 2.  I was enjoying the hills and the scenery and the awesome weather.  By mile 5 or 6 Adrian caught me and we were able to run the rest of the run together. 

It was an awesome run, one of the best of the season!  We talked and chatted the whole way and had a great fast finish.  Negative splits the entire way and from mile 12 – 20 sub 8 minute miles with mile 18 and 19 the fastest at 7:27 and 7:24.  This was a real confidence boosting fast finish run.  Hoping it is a sign of what is to come.

Again, here lies in the benefits of a running partner….Now I have to live up to the standard we just set.  Keeps me from getting overly confident and keeps me honest in my trainings.  So today, with the wet rainy weather, and no baby sitter and school is out, I get up, lace up those shoes, and go out for my 10 mile tempo run, because if I don’t, I won’t be able to keep up the pace.

For the run, I love having a running partner and running friends, they make it all the more fun and enjoyable and offer the excitement of competition and keep me on track!

Happy Running!!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment