Tuesday, December 13, 2011

When it all comes together......NOT

This last week was a recovery week, longest run was 10 miles and a short tempo run that went well.  The weekends nutrition wasn't so good.  A lot of overindulgence in both food and wine!  So Monday I was feeling a bit intimidated by the task of a 6 mile tempo.

Weather was cool, but not cold.  I was dressed what I thought was appropriate in a hat, Capri's and a long sleeved shirt.  I probably could have done with the long sleeved shirt.  Take note, as the weather conditions were similar to what can happen in Austin in February.

I really had to talk myself into the run.  Wasn't really feeling it.  I hadn't treated my nutrition so good, so I was feeling that a bit.  I started my warm-up slow and kept glancing at my watch trying not to drop below a 9:15 average pace.  I managed to keep the 9:15 average pace for 2 miles.  Then I turned on the iPod and picked it up.

My coach/friend kept telling me this is the time to look at the watch.  Don't let that first mile drop below an 8:00. I was  constantly watching the watch, but not really feeling it.  My Paper Heart was playing on the iPod and I just listened to the music and let my feet take me where they were going to take me.  By mile 2.5 into the tempo I looked at the watch and was running a 7:25.  That made me a bit nervous.  Could I hold this, pull it back, I told myself, your goal is to hold a 7:45.  I tried to pull it back, but it was more of an effort that to run the 7:25 pace.  I  just kept listening and running and glancing at the watch.  Coming up on my 3 mile turn-around and I'm still holding the 7:25 pace, but I'm also feeling it a bit and getting nervous about weather or not I could hold it.  Big Mistake, don't ever let a questionable thought go through your head.

No longer was I hearing the music.  Now all I was hearing was my body saying that it was tired and that I hadn't eaten well the day before, and wanting to quit.  I tried to listen to the music, but wasn't hearing it.  Still only my voice could I hear.  Then I thought about my beautiful girls and asked, "Do you want to train to quit or train to win?".  This is a phrase that I often say to them.  So I just kept repeating it over and over and thinking about running up Congress, turning the corner and a straight downhill shot to the finish line.  I pictured myself running across the finish line and listening to How Great is Our God and posting my accomplishment on Facebook.

That got me back into the groove, and I was able to hold that 7:24 pace for the rest of the run, except for one long uphill connecting Champions Park to Brushy Creek Dam, where my paced rose to a 7:50 on the uphill, but was able to drop it back down to the 7:25 at the top of the hill and the mile and half to finish out my 6 mile tempo with an average pace of 7:40.  I was so pleased.  My cool down pace was an easy 8:30 and I was feeling like that was the best mental workout I've ever done!!

My mind was more tired than my body, and I was glad that I had the self discipline to hold onto the workout and the pace without quitting.  I know that 80% of the marathon is mental, and I'm going to win that battle!!

On another note, have to say that I love, love, love my new Saucony Mirage running shoes, light and responsive and they colors (black and hot pink) are cool!!

Keep Running!!
Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment