Sunday, February 12, 2012

If at first you don't succeed...

I'm sure you've all heard the saying if at first you don't succeed, try, try again.  Today, in church we were asked to speak about our relationship with Jesus, how it came about, who we are as people, how we share the good news.  It made me think about my testimony, what is it?  Who have I told?

I have many friends and family, that I've talked about Jesus with, my faith, my beliefs.  I have to say that most people know I'm a believer and I've talked to many who aren't about how my faith has affected my life.  But, have I really talked about my story?  How does my running affect my faith?  Let me count the ways...

My story is one of faith.

My life has had many set-backs and definitely didn't go as I had planned, but I've always known all would be okay, because I knew God would catch me.  That is not to say that I haven't cried, been angry, had my doubts, and wondered where I was going to find the strength and the "want to" to follow the path He has for me.  Amazingly during a relatively happy and stress free time in my life, I found running...funny how that is, and those daily runs and time with him, has renewed my faith and sent me on a path of growth in my life as a Christian.

Running has brought me closer to the Lord is so very many ways.  First, it has brought people into my life who have touched me with their stories and those that I have been able to share mine with.  When I run it is always a spiritual event for me.  During the runs, I pray, sing praise in my heart, recite his Word, and share with others, and at the end of each run, I've had an energy that only faith can bring.

My early running years, as I like to call them, were not easy!  I blew out my calf within the first year and a half of running.  Looking back, I now know that was due to ignorance, improper training, and asking too much of my body at the wrong time.

When my mother got sick, I was devastated.  I was angry, hurt, scared, and broken hearted.  Running soon became a major outlet.  I would go for a run and just talk to God, begging him to stop this terrible disease my mom had.  After the shock wore off, and acceptance set in, I would begin to ask him how I was suppose to help her? Running cleared my mind of the emotions and allowed me to think, pray and connect, and know we were all going to make it through this.

When we moved to Austin, I was so depressed.  I had left the only home I ever knew with a just 3 year old and a 6 month old infant.  My husband was traveling constantly, my mother was getting worse and I had no support system.  Running became my support system and a path to a stronger more meaningful relationship with our Lord.

Through running I have been able to meet so many wonderful people who have really touched my life in so many meaninful ways.  Looking back, I can see how clearly they were placed in my life by the Lord, the timing of our encounters and the lessons I've learned from meeting them could only be so perfect because of Godly intention.

My first running partner in Austin, introduced me to a wonderful Church.  We were able to talk about our beliefs, lives, faith, families, heartaches and celebrations.  We nursed each other through injury and pregnancy and successfully (we finished) ran the San Antonio Marathon together.  She touched my life in ways beyond explanation and I know she was put into my life by the Lord.  Alas, we've parted ways each following different running and fitness goals.

At that church, I met a few more fellow runners and triathletes who have become such special friends.  One of whom introduced me to group running. It has been one of the greatest gifts.  I have met amazing women and friends that will be life-long friends.

My running career, as I like to call it, has been plagued with more set-backs and injuries than successes.  But with each set-back, I've grown closer to God and stronger in Faith.  My faith in my self has never wavered, because I've always known, I'm not alone.  I've set myself a goal and I know that through hard work and discipline I will accomplish that goal, because God has given me a talent of perseverance.  I've never lost touch of what is really important, the journey and never giving up, even when the odds are stacked against you.


This year, has been a good year, tough, but good tough, you know, like the last 10K of a marathon.  I prayed to God many times this year for inspiration.  God answered these prayers when I met an amazing woman through my running group.  She reached out to me, when she had barely known me, with kind words, scripture and in such caring and thoughtful emails.  The timing of these emails and hugs were so perfect.  I cry even as I type this.  She reminds me so much of my mother, always a smile on her face, a gentle touch, and always with the right words or quotes.

It has been said that God never gives you more than you can handle.  It may not always feel that way.  Especially when you are walking happily in one direction and he sends you in another.   Go for a run!  It will clear your mind and open your heart.  You will see things in a different way and on that run, you will find the special people God has sent to help guide you on this new adventurous trail.  It may be a run, that you don't ever want to do again, but in the end it will still be a run, and your stride will become stronger!

It is my hope that someday, I will touch others and guide them along their new path, the way my running partners and fellow runners have done for me.

Remember, if at first you don't succeed, try, try again....have faith, that whatever your goal, the finish line awaits at just the right time.  Be mindful and prayerful in your journey of trying.  In each of my attempts at running a marathon, I've learned new lessons, grown in my faith, made new friends, and shared my life with others, and most of all founder a deeper sense of joy in all the gifts I've been given.

Tracy

No comments:

Post a Comment